Egg-Free Churros Recipe
It has been quite some time that I have had a churro. Growing up, we had them every now and then but they weren’t my favorite treats. I’d prefer pan dulce like a concha. Mmm, so delicious. As I grew up, and ate more churros, I finally began to like them. Fast forward to now, it has been years since my last churro. Finding a plant-based churro, now that I am vegan, has been difficult in Phoenix. Slowly the vegan scene is picking up in Arizona, but I still can’t find all my favorite dishes veganized yet. So I decided that I would try to veganize a churro recipe.
After looking through many many churro recipes, I have finally come up with this egg-free churro recipe. I think the most difficult part in making churros is making sure you have a piping bag and the right size pastry tip, as this dough is on the thicker side. Nonetheless, with some patience and a firm hand, making these churros is easy. I hope you give this recipe a try and tweak any part as needed. For example, if the cinnamon sugar coating is too sweet, add less sugar or if it’s too spicy, add less cinnamon.
Egg-Free Churro Ingredients:
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Oil (Vegetable, Coconut, or Olive)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 cups of Frying Oil (I used Peanut Oil)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
Let’s Get Started
- Heat frying oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit in your deep fryer or a wide and deep pot.
- Prepare coating by placing sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and mixing well. Place aside.
- In a small pot, boil water, sugar, salt, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Once water mixture is brought to boil, stir well and add flour to wet ingredients and mix well until dough is smooth.
- Once dough has cooled enough to handle, put dough into a pastry bag (piping bag) with a wide star pastry tip.
- Twist pastry bag and begin piping churro dough directly into frying oil. Use dough cutters or a small butter knife to cut dough from pastry bag.
- Use tongs, butter knife, or tool of your choice to shape churros (straight, curved, etc.) and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn churro over and cook until golden brown (the thicker/larger the churro, the longer it takes to deep fry).
- Remove from frying oil and place on a plate with a paper towel (to absorb excess oil) for 1 minute.
- Then sprinkle desired amount of sugary cinnamon coating all over churro and serve with your favorite vegan chocolate sauce, hot chocolate, cafecito and/or Coconut Nice Cream.
If you tried making churros, I’d love to see them. Please tag me online or use the hashtag #MermaidGoesVegan so that I can see your delicious creations. Enjoy!